We can arrange Covid testing for you directly on the property with the Belize Diagnostic Center. Results within 30 minutes and you will receive digital confirmation. Let us know and we will make arrangements!
Travelers Must Purchase Health Insurance to Enter
January 13, 2022:
In an effort to further protect the health and wellbeing of international visitors and Belizeans from COVID-19, Belize Tourism Board (BTB), the official tourism organization for Belize, has released new safe travel standards for any persons entering the country. Effective Feb. 15, 2022, all visitors are required to apply for Belize Travel Health Insurance – a mandatory insurance that helps protect travelers against incurred medical and non-medical expenses, if they test positive for COVID-19 during their stay in Belize.
The cost of the policy is $18 USD and provides coverage for up to $50,000 USD in medical expenses related to treatment of COVID-19 for a period of 21 days. This insurance plan will come online under the country’s public health regulations and provide cover for lodging expenses due to quarantine up to $2,000 USD (max $300/day USD). Travelers will also be covered for emergency assistance services such as air evacuation and emergency expenses related to pre-existing conditions. Furthermore, it covers trip cancellations and expenses incurred by COVID-19 positive travelers for extended stays.
Some important entry highlights are listed below:
- It is recommended that travelers purchase the Belize Travel Health Insurance prior to their travel to Belize. However, purchases can be made upon arrival at the Philip Goldson International Airport or at Belize’s land borders.
- Visitors must purchase Belize Travel Health Insurance and are required to complete the Customs and Immigration form that is provided on all flights to Belize
- Exempted from this mandatory insurance are Belizean nationals, permanent residents and travelers with QRP or Long Stay status and flight crews.
- All international tourists must book their stay in Belize at a Gold Standard property (approved hotel or accommodation) and present confirmation at immigration.
- All travelers, both vaccinated and unvaccinated, entering Belize through the Philip Goldson International Airport from other countries, will be required to present a negative COVID-19 test.
- If no test is presented, a COVID-19 test will be administered at the airport for a fee of USD $50 per passenger. Children under the age of 5 years will not be required to present a negative test.
In the past year, Belize has implemented several traveler protocols to keep visitors feeling safe, including the Tourism Gold Standard Program and Travel Belize app, which enables travelers to seamlessly plan their vacation with certified hotels and tour operators (an entry requirement). The new Travel Health Insurance mandate underscores Belize’s commitment to health and safety, enhancing travel confidence and giving visitors peace of mind to schedule that well-deserved vacation for 2022 and beyond.
Travelers Must Present a negative Covid-19 test
November 15, 2021:
1. All travelers, both vaccinated and unvaccinated, entering Belize from other countries will be required to present a negative Covid-19 test.
All travelers entering Belize at the Philip Goldson International Airport (PGIA) will be required to present a negative Covid-19 PCR test taken within 96 hours of travel or a negative result from any approved Antigen Rapid Test taken within 48 hours of travel. If no test is presented, a Covid-19 Antigen testing will be administered at the airport for a fee of USD $75 per passenger. Children under the age of 5 years will not be required to present a negative test; but children 5 years and older will be required to present a negative test.
All travelers entering Belize through the Northern and Western Borders will be administered a Rapid Test for Covid-19 by the Ministry of Health and Wellness, at their own expense. No external Covid-19 PCR or Rapid Test will be accepted at these points of entry.
2. Foreign visitors must present confirmation of their stay at a Gold Standard accommodation upon arrival in the country.
3. Rentals vehicles are permitted throughout the country. Visitors are permitted to cross the land borders in rental vehicles or personal vehicles as well. However, if you arrive at the land borders by foot you must arrange to be picked up by a Gold Standard transportation provider who will transport you to your Gold Standard accommodation.
4. There are testing sites throughout the country for persons travelling departing Belize, includes a site at the Philip Goldson International Airport (rapid testing only). If a PCR Test is required the Belize Diagnostic Center, among others, can facilitate that particular test. Contact us for more details.
We can arrange On-site RAPID testing at Maya Mountain Lodge Apartments by the Belize Diagnostic Center. Cost is $75 US/person (Cash only). Test results received in 30 minutes.
Rapid testing and PCR testing can also be done in San Ignacio at the Belize Diagnostic Center (cash or card). Cost for an Antigen testing is $75 US/person. Cost for a PCR test is $250 US/person. Test results are received in 30-60 minutes.
5. Country-wide curfew is 10pm – 4am / Sunday to Thursday- Friday & Saturday 11pm-4pm.
6. Alcohol sales at stores end at 6pm. Alcohol can be purchased after 6pm at restaurants with the purchase of food.
7. Face masks must be worn when out in public. Failure to do so can result in a $500 fine. Please take this seriously. Police are actively enforcing this law and they show no exception for foreigners or for excuses.
8. Social distancing of 6′ must be adhered to. Failure to do so can result in a $500 fine.
Comprehensive list of country-wide Covid-19 testing sites can be found here: https://belizetourismboard.org/news-and-gallery/belize-covid-19-travel-updates/ It includes a site at the Philip Goldson International Airport
Approved Testing Sites
The Ministry of Health & Wellness recently released a list of approved testing sites throughout the country. Below you’ll find up to date information on where to find your nearest testing facilities.
Philip Goldson International Airport
Belize Medical Associates
Some Private Testing Facility for Travelers
Belize Medical Associates *PCR & Rapid Antigen testing done here